Saturday 10 March 2012

The Transplant - The Big Day

Well yesterday was the big day! I had my stem cell transplant. Using my own stem cells, harvested 2 weeks ago. All went very well. They sedated me for the procedure, so I was kind of awake during the procedure, but after awhile I crashed! Slept the whole afternoon. Also had a good nights sleep.

The stem cells where administered by an IV, they had to get them transplanted in a certain time, there where two bags that they have to administer. Most amazing how you can see the small cells in the pipe of the drip line. Towards the end it was difficult to get the last bit in, as some of the fluid was quite thick.

So now the count down begins, yesterday being day 0, they now expect the stems cells to grow and take within the next 10-14 days. The effects of the chemo, also takes a couple of days to kick in. I really pray the Lord will get me through the next stage.

Being in one room all the time is challenging, I try and get into a routine. So up with a wash, make my bed, cleanup a little, do some breathing exercises, do some stretches and weights for my arms, try and get my heart rate up a little. Oh... the other thing I have put on 5 kg, I think mostly water, I'm constantly on a drip, up to know I was getting 2l a day, which adds up. I see the drip rate has been reduced, so hopefully this will come down. My hair is still falling out, I think we will be saving it today. Not sure when it will start growing again. It think I'll have to get a nice "beanie".

Thanks for all the prayers and support, I really believe that I have already been healed, and this is really a formality. Through Christ and the cross we have full access to the Completed Work of Christ, which includes salvation, healing and all the blessings and inheritances He has for us! Shalom!

Ready for Action, before the Transplant

Yvette, always there to support me!

And so it begins

There you can see the stem cell bag that gets re-infused

"Uit soos n' Kers"

Dr T, supporting and checking up on me

Precious clean stem cells

Assisting nurse helping getting the cells into the drip

No comments:

Post a Comment