Monday 20 February 2012

Stem Cell Surprise

On Monday morning, I had to go for blood tests, to check my stem cell levels. According to our schedule,  my stem cell harvest was due on Tuesday morning. I received a call around 11am on Monday from the doctors rooms, to say that my response to the medication was very successful and that they wanted to harvest the cells, that afternoon. Yvette has to scramble all the arrangements with the kids, and take me to hospital.

So my harvest happened on Monday instead of Tuesday, the good news is that I had more than enough stem cells mobilized, which makes the harvesting process so much easier, and also shorter. The fact that I responded well to the medication was a blessing.

The worst part of the harvesting process was the "knitting needles" they had to put into my arm and veins. They first tried my left arm, and .... didn't work, I nearly went through the roof. Yvette tried to pinch my ear to relieve the pain....doesn't really work. Then they tried my right arm, which was fine .

The whole process including setting up the machine and harvesting took about 5 hours. Everything went well, I felt a bit lightheaded and hungry afterwards.

Thanks for all the prayers and support during this time, I really do appreciate it!

Before we started

Stem Cells being harvested, I've been watching "Strat Pack"
Music Video

Stefanie's 1st Stem Cell Transplant

Cecelia Cares!

Here is 110ml of life that I will receive
on the 8th March




No comments:

Post a Comment