Thursday 3 November 2011

My First Treatment


Today was the day for the follow-up meeting with our Oncologist. Yvette and I had spent time reading, and had much more intelligent questions, this time around. The results of my blood test where also available, and M-spike level around 7, this should be 0. We discussed the treatment route, also stem cell replacement. Dr T, explained that this cancer is very treatable, where 10 years ago, there would be nothing they could do for you. So with Valcade and a stem cell transplant, there was a good chance going into remission, which could be for years! The study of the disease seems to be advancing all the time. So I would expect this to be like treating a chronic illness. Radiation would also need to start, however I needed my wounds to heal first. Being positive over the prognosis, I had my first treatment on the same day. I must say, when sitting there, I said to myself, "this is not happening to me" I never would have thought, I would be sitting there being treated, it was always going to be some one else!

The first treatment was generally painless, except it felt like cold ice being pumped into my veins, with this feeling then moving through and across my body. That evening I felt a bit shaky, the worst was that I could not sleep, I think it was the cortisone that kept me awake! 


Time to blog - not being able to sleep that night, I decided to start my own blog, so I spent most of the night going though it, setting it up etc.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment