Friday 2 September 2011

So, How did it all Start? First Symptoms, Sani2c

Well, thinking back on when I got the first symptoms... It was earlier in the year, in fact, on our December 2010 holiday. We really had a fabulous holiday in Mauritius and December.

Charl, Dominique, Chloe & Yvette
Lying on the beach, the water skiing really looked great, it reminded me of my youth. My Dad had a ski boat, and as young boys we enjoyed water skiing. So after close to 25 years, I thought I would go for it and see if I still water ski? And guess what it was like "riding a bicycle" you never forget. So I first tried with two ski's, no problems. Then I tried a slalom ski. this was much harder, I really battled to get up, and once up, the impact on back was very sore. "Enough of that, I thought, perhaps I should rather stick to cycling" (my favorite sport).


Water Skiing - December 2011
Back on the beach I said to Yvette, "my back really hurts, feels like a pain in my lower back and or perhaps kidneys". The rest of the holiday was amazing, something that we would never forget. (writing this entry months after the time, I realize how important it is to spend quality time with the ones you love. Our lives are so short, we need to live for the day, make the best of every moment, the Word of God talks of our lives being like the fleeting withering of grass, or the fading away of a flower in the field).

So, January 2011 starts with my rigorous training program for the Sani2C Multi Stage Mountain Bike Race. One of the most amazing staged events in the country, over 3 days, and 240km. The race starts in the Underberg in the Southern Drakensberg and ends in Scottburgh on the Natal South Coast. (see www.sani2c.co.za) The race event was in May 2011, so we had over 4 months of training, which consisted of 8-12 hours of cycling a week. Early mornings, really exhilarating, hard work, and very rewarding.  I guess you're wondering why I'm telling you all of this, well, lower back pain and cycling seem to go hand in hand. Especially in mountain biking, one is generally sore in your lower back, due to the time in the saddle, and also the terrain that we train on. The routes are generally, strenuous, rocky and hard. Cycling also shortens your hamstrings, and so if your stretching regimen is slack, as mine generally is, then you generally have a lower sore back. And so, I guess the underlying symptoms of my diagnosis, was largely suppressed by my cycling activities.

So completing my third Sani2c was great! Adriaan, my partner and I did relatively well, and we where happy with our result. I experienced minor lower back pain by nothing serious. (as I write this entry, still in my current condition, I'm determined to ride the race again, Lord willing, perhaps not this year, but the next)

Sani2c - May 2011

2 comments:

  1. Hi Charl, It,s your cousin John here. You have been on our minds for sometime now and I contacted Mom, who gave me your blog address.
    Having read your progress it seems that we have nothing too much to worry about because you are truly a son of our Lord and you too have nothing to fear, being in his care.
    We know that he has answered our prayers and healed you but we hope that he now takes pity on you and "sets you free" from what seems to be your "prison".
    In any event we hope to see you at next year's Sani2c when you stop off for a cup of coffee at "The Guinea Fowl" in Scottburgh.
    God bless you brave person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, Good hearing from you! Thanks for your wishes and encouragement! Coffee at the Guinea Fowl sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete